Aromatherapy is a wonderful tool to support your wellbeing during pregnancy, labour and new motherhood. Essential oils are powerful, highly concentrated extracts of plants made from flowers, leaves, seeds, roots and trees. They have been used for thousands of years by many cultures around the world. They can make you feel calm and relaxed, energized and uplifted and can assist with various conditions in the body, both physical and emotional.
Are essential oils safe during pregnancy?
There are certain oils that aren’t recommended during pregnancy, but when diffused in a vapouriser, essential oils are perfectly safe and a great way to feel uplifted and energised during pregnancy. It is only when applied directly to your skin that some warnings apply (consult a qualified aromatherapist). Oils should always be applied using a carrier oil or diluted in a bath and not directly to the skin, Always choose 100% pure essential oils to ensure their quality.
Here’s a comprehensive (but not exclusive) list of essential oils that can be used to support your wellbeing during pregnancy, birth and new motherhood:
Pregnancy (used carefully after first trimester):
- Refresh and uplift: grapefruit, orange, tangerine, geranium
- Calm and relax: ylang ylang, neroli, lavender, sandalwood, bergamot
- Clear your mind: patchouli
- Morning sickness: ginger, peppermint, lemon
- Aches and pains: lavender, geranium
- Congestion: eucalyptus
- Pain relief – lavender, clary sage, frankincense, wintergreen, peppermint, balsam fir
- Strengthen contractions – clary sage, jasmine
- Relieve exhaustion, refresh, uplift – citrus oils i.e orange, peppermint, lemon, spearmint, grapefruit
- Calm and relax – lavender, chamomile, neroli, bergamot, rose, frankincense, sandalwood, geranium
- Transition – basil
- Relieve exhaustion, refresh, uplift – citrus oils i.e orange, peppermint, lemon, spearmint, grapefruit, bergamot
- Calm and relax – lavender, neroli, rose, frankinense, sandalwood, geranium
- Sore nipples – chamomile
- Increase milk production – clary sage, fennel, basil
- Decrease milk production – peppermint
- Mastitis – lavender, patchouli
Aromatherapy Birth Mist Recipe
Here is a beautiful mist made from pure water and essential oils that can be used during your labour and birth to refresh, uplift and calm the atmosphere.
- 1 bottle with a mister spray top (approx 100mls)
- Just less than 100mls purified water
- 18 drops lavender oil
- 12 drops geranium oil
- 9 drops clary sage oil
- 3 drops chamomile oil
- 1 drop frankincense oil
Mix oils and water. Shake well, mist and inhale deeply.